Friday, September 08, 2006

Homebrewed Kölsch Variant

Well, I'm going to find time to brew again this weekend. I'm going to brew a Kölsch-style beer with more of a hop profile and a higher gravity. I'll still use "noble" European hops, though. It will basically be a "Sticke" version of the style. I'll also use a Scottish Ale yeast, instead of a Kölsch yeast. I've used this yeast before for Kölsch, and ended up with good results.

I always like making up my own recipes and messing with the rules of a style. It makes life interesting, and I've made many a fine beer, this way. Yum, yum...can't wait!

Here's the basic recipe:

Gute Träume Sticke Kölschbier (version #7)
Style: Kölsch variant.
Type: All grain
Size: 11.5 gallons
Grain:
20 lb. Turbo Pilsner, 1.7-2L
9 lb. Maris Otter, Crisp -3L
3 lb. Wheat Malt
Mash:
Single Step Mash at 152-155F for 70 min. Actual temp:_________
start recirc. 50 mins into mash.
Batch sparged at 170F
Boil: 80 minutes
Hops:
2.0 oz. Tettnang Hop Flowers (60 min.)
1.0 oz. Hallertau Mittelfruh Hop Flower, German (45 min.)
1.0 oz. Hallertau Mittelfruh Hop Flower, German (30 min.)
2.0 oz. Hallertau Mittelfruh Hop Flower, German (10 min.)
2.0 oz. Tettnang Hop Flowers (10 min.)
Yeast:
2 ea Wyeast Scottish Ale, 1728 XL (activator pack).
Fermentation:
Primary fermentation in glass at 72F for 5-6 days.
Secondary fermentation in glass at 72F for 5-7 days.
Tertiary fermentation/conditioning in glass at 60F for 5 - 14 days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds tasty to me. Have you ever used corn in a light beer like a Kolsch? I know it is completly anti-german, but since you're experimenting, you might give it a shot. I put around 1 pound of polenta (boil it for 30 mins first) into my mash for my Kolsch and I think it contibutes a nice lightness.

If you can get fresh flaked corn it's easier.

CP
http://maltybrew.com

Ben, aka BadBen said...

Yes, I made a "grits" version of Kolsch, once. It wasn't spectacular, but it was a fun experiment.