Monday, May 01, 2006

Homebrewing Notes from the Weekend

Last Saturday my wife was called into work. I decided at that point to spend some time homebrewing, since I'd planned to spend the day with her, originally. I brewed an IPA, because I'm running out of the IPA that I have on tap. The basic recipe is below.

The Oak-aged Imperial Stout is finally kegged and carbonated. My son and I enjoyed having a few glasses over the weekend. What a wonderful elixer! It is a very complex and tasty brew that has been 5 months in the making. I just hope we don't drink it all before I have a chance to see how it will age further.
Now for the IPA recipe:

Spring Fling IPA
Beer: Spring Fling IPA
Style: American style India Pale Ale
Type: All grain Size: 11 gallons
Color: 10 HCU (~7 SRM)
Bitterness: 71 IBU
OG: Est:1.067 Observed: 1.068
FG: Est:1.015 Observed:
Alcohol: 6.7% v/v (5.2% w/w)
Water:
Grain:
6 lb. Klagas 2 Row Pale, Great Western
17 lb. British pale (Maris Otter)
1 lb. Weyermann Munich Malt
1 lb. Briess Crystal 40L
1 lb. Cara Pils
2 lb. Rahr White Wheat malt
Mash:
70% efficiency
156° for 80 minutes.
Boil:
80 minutes
Irish moss and yeast nutrient last 15 minutes.
Hops:
2 oz. Magnum (10.8% AA, 60 min.) Flowers
1 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 45 min.) Flowers
1 oz. Willamette (5% AA, 45 min.) Flowers
2 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 30 min.) Flowers
1 oz. Willamette (5% AA, 30 min.) Flowers
1 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 15 min.) Flowers
1 oz. Willamette (5% AA, 15 min.) Flowers
Yeast: Use large starter of Wyeast 1056
Brewing notes:
Chilled to 75° in 10 minutes with counter flow chiller.
1) Primary fermentation in glass at 72F for 5-6 days.
2) Secondary fermentation in glass at 72F for 10 days. Dry hop with 2 oz. Cascade pellets.
3) Tertiary conditioning for 3 - 4 days, add gelatin at this point for fining.
Carbonation: 2.2 volumes Keg: 9.0 psi @ 40°F

3 comments:

Breeves2000 said...

CALL ME when you have another brewing session. I like learning! Knowledge tastes good!

Ben, aka BadBen said...

It will be next Saturday at noon...the AHA's Big Brew Day!

Anonymous said...

thank you nice sharing

cep program
symbian program
nokia program