Thursday, March 09, 2006

Missouri Man Makes Gluten-Free Beer; available nationally (in U.S.) May 1st




Read or watch the video regarding this man's quest to help millions enjoy beer who can't now, because of a medical condition called celiac disease.
Here's the web site for his beer, called Bard's Tale Beer.

I have a friend who has the same medical condition. I'm going to make him a batch of gluten-free sorghum malt beer, sometime within the next two months. I think it will be an interesting homebrewing project. From the tasting notes at the 2004 GABF, Bard's Tale did ok, with a couple of caveats:
Date: 2-Oct-2004 (44-5471)
Package: draught
Place: Great American Beer Festival, Denver CO
Score: 15 points
Appearance (3)Pale golden. Nice thick head.
Aroma (3)
Smoky, grainy.
Mouthfeel (7)
Medium body. Really sweet and herbal and smoky, with an unfortunate diacetyl note.
Overall Impression (2)
Real interesting beer.

I think I can brew a less sweet version with no diacetyl notes. Bard's has an IBU rating of 20. I think 30-35 would be more appropriate, and I'll use noble hops to do it. I don't know if I'll brew an ale or the lager, at this point.

Randy Mosher writes about brewing with sorghum in his book Radical Brewing. I'm going to re-read what he has to say about it. I'll come up with my own recipe and post it in the near future.

Have any other of you bloggers brewed a sorghum malt beer? I'd be interested in some feedback.

7 comments:

David Larsen, fine artist said...

I have not, though I looked into it a few months ago. I found it interesting that sorghum is basically a form of buck wheat and buck wheat is used in many African breweries.

David Larsen, fine artist said...

The other thing that I found out is the even the gluten found in a smack pack is enough to trigger celiac patients.

Ben, aka BadBen said...

Yeah, from the research I've done, I'll have to make a starter from dry yeast and dextrose.

Anonymous said...

I have the condition - just recently diagnosed. Man, good timing for these guys to come out with a gluten-free brew. I'm also working with a homebrew supplier on getting GF ingredients to construct a pale ale kit.

-Peter- said...

my dad was recently diagnosed with Celiac's, and I found this guy's information really informative. I was wondering if anyone had any information/luck using Wyeast smack packs substituting a gluten free growth medium instead of the barley growth medium which comes with it.

Anonymous said...

thank you nice sharing

cep program
symbian program
nokia program

Anonymous said...

Have any of you tried the Dock Street version? Sudan Grass Sorghum Ale?
My friend has celiac disease and I'm looking for information--and a place to take her for good beer!